Wednesday, January 30, 2013
my Bricklayer pattern -- I made four quilt tops this summer out of Modern Meadow, and I have one left to quilt.
And currently on the machine, the first of three Sugar Pop tops that need quilting. Love these bright, cheery colors! After this one is quilted, I will have whittled that pile of 40 quilt tops down to 15!
These blue and white blocks measure 6 inch finished.
Freshly Pieced's WIP Wednesday!
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
these Great Granny blocks over the summer -- they are so addictive, and a great way to use up scraps. I've already finished one quilt using Tula Pink's Parisville line , and this fall, I started this Bliss one, as well as an Amy Butler Soul Blossoms quilt using grey as the background (see this blog post for more details and pics).
I had set the blocks aside for a while to work on other projects, but have been anxious to get back to them. I knew I had made 10 blocks already, but I didn't remember if I had started the rest.
I was very happily surprised to find that I had already sewn all the pieces into rows for the next 10 blocks, so I just needed to add the background fabric and assemble the rows.
Camille's turned out!
Linking up with Freshly Pieced's WIP Wednesday!
Friday, January 18, 2013
listed in the store!
The second almost-finish of the week was another Riley Blake fabric quilt. This is the Puppy Park collection. I love the oranges, blues and browns in this one. I used my Hip to Be Square pattern, which makes great use of layer cakes.
Linking up with Amanda Jean's Finish-It-Up-Friday!
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Thank you to everyone for your lovely comments on my kids' Christmas quilts! As promised, here are some more details! For today's post, I'll focus on the mustache quilt:
My twelve year old daughter has been obsessed with mustaches this year, so I thought it would be fun to make her a quilt. I had planned to make my kids quilts as presents in 2011, but ran out of time, so I was determined to make it work in 2012! I originally purchased this pattern, which was really cute. However, when I actually sat down to work on it (December 23rd!) I couldn't decide what fabrics to use. I really wanted to use my daughter's favorite color combo of blue and orange, but it didn't seem to gel with the pattern. So, I went to the web for inspiration and found this tutorial by I'm A Ginger Monkey. I really loved the simplicity of the design, and the look of the mustaches in bright colors and bold prints. Since I was running low on time, and because I had some dark grey minky fabric for the backing that I wanted to tie in, I decided to appliqué the mustaches on a charcoal Kona cotton solid, and add in alternate fabric squares.
I started with some Anna Maria Horner Innocent Crush fabrics that I had been
hoarding saving for something special. I dug through all of my fabric collections for additional blue and orange fabrics, adding in some Joel Dewberry (Heirloom), some Denyse Schmidt (Flea Market Fancy), and other Anna Maria Horner fabrics (Field Study and Loulouthi).
I was able to trace, cut and fuse all of the mustaches in the morning, and then I did a LOT of blanket stitch appliqué after my daughter went to bed that night. (The blocks were cut at 10 inches square, and the blocks were set in a 6 x 7 grid). By midnight, the top was put together.
I was able to do the quilting the next day on my Viking Mega Quilter (my daughter was banned from the sewing room!). I decided to be brave and use orange thread, which actually turned out to be a nice blend with both the prints and the grey. I also decided to quilt right through the mustaches, and I'm very happy with the overall look.
I used minky on the back, but I did include Warm and Natural batting, too. I wanted the quilt to be super warm and cuddly.
The recipient was very happy. She knew a quilt was in the works, but she was very surprised by the mustaches and favorite colors!
I'll blog about my son's quilt later this week!