Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wednesday Work in Progress

I am excited to finally share a gigantic work-in-progress that has kept me busy over the past month!

One of my favorite out-of-print fabric collections is Arcadia. I've been hoarding bits and pieces for quite a while, so when a customer requested a 60 x 120 inch quilt for a king size bed, I was able to accommodate! For the pattern, she chose Pint-Size Jelly-filled by Camille Roskelley, which was perfect, because I had three Arcadia honey buns in my stash. I began making blocks:

And then I made more blocks:

And more blocks:

And then I realized I would need 216 blocks for the project, which works out to over 1900 pieces of fabric!

Even laying it out was a challenge -- I had to find a big enough floor space!

But now it is finally quilted, and ready to be bound:

It sort of feels like I climbed a quilting mountain!

Linking up to Freshly Pieced Work-in-Progress Wednesday!


Saturday, February 23, 2013

Disappearing Nine Patch

It has been a busy and productive week of custom orders -- hopefully I"ll have some finished pictures soon! Tonight, I started a project for a customer who wanted a replica of a quilt she had received for her first baby. Once she sent a photo, I realized it was the Disappearing Nine Patch pattern I had wanted to try for a while, especially after seeing this beautiful quilt. I used the tutorial by Cluck Cluck Sew,and it was fast, easy and fun!

You begin by making nine patch blocks from charm squares (these are made out of Kate Spain's out-of-print collection Verna):


After you press the blocks, cut them into quarters, and sew them together, about 20 minutes later, you have this:

Pretty magical, huh?

I may or may not have started a second one...

(These were my test blocks, using another out-of-print collection called Whimsy by Fig Tree Quilts for Moda -- it will have to be set aside for a little while as I catch up on custom orders, but it is now on my must-make list!)



Finishes to Share!

As promised, here are a few custom items that are either finished, or in the final stages! The first was a simple patchwork design mixing several Bonnie and Camille fabric collections, as well as a few grey chevrons to match the intended nursery. I've made several of these, and I love how they come together -- Bliss, Ruby and Vintage Modern mix so well together! I did forget to take a picture with the binding finished --oops!

This next one was just completed today. The customer liked my Ahoy Matey quilt and wanted something similar with airplanes. Here's the Ahoy Matey quilt, which actually uses a pre-printed panel for the center:

Since I didn't have the option of a panel, I photocopied and enlarged images from the cute airplane border fabric (On the Go by Bo Bunny for Riley Blake Fabrics):

And here's the finished quilt:

Normally, I would not have sewn on the borders before adding the appliqués, but I needed to get an idea of the scale of the final quilt. I also ran out of Heat and Bond lite (my favorite appliqué tool) and had to send my husband to the store for more, so sewing on the borders ahead of time helped with the impending deadline! I love the way it turned out -- I think I'll be listing a made-to-order version in my shop soon!

Finally, I'm hand-sewing the binding on this Sugar and Spice quilt (LOVE striped bindings!) so it can head off to its new home soon.

Tomorrow evening, I'll be working on finishing a quilt top that has taken longer than anticipated -- I'm excited to be in the final stages! More to share soon!


Saturday, February 9, 2013

Works in Progress

Saturday projects in-progress:

New paint in the bedroom:

A stack of completed quilt blocks:

...and many, many quilt blocks left to go!


Friday, February 8, 2013

Finish it up Friday!

I'm very excited to share my finish for this week-- a red and yellow Hometown Stars quilt that is on it's way to a new home in Australia.

I've made several versions of this quilt, most recently a twin size version, but this particular customer wanted the quilt in only the red and yellow fabrics.

I think I like it as much as the original:

The pattern is my When the Stars Align pattern. I've made the quilt out of several fabric collections, and I always love how they turn out! It's a very easy quilt to make, but it does require a lot of this:

The trimming is totally worth it in the end, however! If you read my earlier posts, you will know that I spent all of last Saturday making two versions of the quilt. I'm happy to report that the other one, in Denyse Schmidt's Fancy Free fabrics, is also a finished top, but has been temporarily set aside while I work on a bunch of custom orders:

I plan to spend the rest of this snowy day making more of the above blocks, as well as quilting a twin size quilt!

Linking up with Amanda Jean's Finish it Up Friday!


Saturday, February 2, 2013


Status report: 25 percent of both quilts complete!

Working on the next two blocks for each quilt right now!


What I'm Working on Today...

Two different star quilts! One in Hometown by Sweetwater:

The second in Fancy Free by Denyse Schmidt:

Each quilt needs 12 blocks. I'll check in at the end of the day and let you know how I did!