this pattern, which was really cute. However, when I actually sat down to work on it (December 23rd!) I couldn't decide what fabrics to use. I really wanted to use my daughter's favorite color combo of blue and orange, but it didn't seem to gel with the pattern. So, I went to the web for inspiration and found this tutorial by I'm A Ginger Monkey. I really loved the simplicity of the design, and the look of the mustaches in bright colors and bold prints. Since I was running low on time, and because I had some dark grey minky fabric for the backing that I wanted to tie in, I decided to appliqué the mustaches on a charcoal Kona cotton solid, and add in alternate fabric squares.
The recipient was very happy. She knew a quilt was in the works, but she was very surprised by the mustaches and favorite colors!
I'll blog about my son's quilt later this week!