Friday, August 31, 2012
Here's part of the new and improved layout! In the old layout, the storage system was in front of the window, and unfortunately blocked part of it, especially when I added baskets on top of the storage! The sewing table was against the other wall, and was covered with way too many things. The first thing I had to do was remove a lot of clutter from the room (I'm in the midst of a slew of custom orders, which I'll post more about later, but suffice it to say, the room was a complete disaster! Then, I had to do quite a bit of dusting -- a lot had accumulated in places that were very hard to get to with all of the clutter in the way! This caused a fair amount of sneezing!
I really like the crate bookshelf system, and it worked fine in its original location. I decided to purchase two more crates so I could get even more backing fabrics folded and stored -- these had been in an overflowing basket under my sewing table. I definitely am at the maximum height here, so although there is a little more room for books and backings, I need to keep these purchases to a minimum in the future!
It's nice to be going into the new school year with a clean and organized space! All is not perfect yet, however -- I didn't include the behind the scenes pics of the pile of items that did not get put back in the room yet (trying to weed through these and destash some) or the closet (I need to take better advantage of the vertical space in the closet in order to store the rest of the items!) Once I purchase a shelving unit for the closet, that should take care of both of those issues!
I'll be sharing pics of some of my custom orders in an upcoming post, and I'll have a post about what caused me to take immediate action on the room redo! Tune in soon for more on that!
Wednesday, August 22, 2012
The first of three custom Central Park quilts has been completed and is on its way to a new home!
I just love working with these fabrics -- they make me so happy!
I haven't made any progress on the triangle trimming for the other two quilts, but I did finish the bindings on two of my California quilt tops. The first is Lucy's Crab Shack by Sweetwater. This one just makes me want to lie on the beach with a good book!
I used a simple patchwork design, which I think sets off the prints beautifully. I am anxious to make another quilt out of these lovely fabrics, however, perhaps in a more complex design. This quilt is now listed in my Etsy shop here.
I also finished a Vintage Modern quilt in my Hip to Be Square pattern. Although I've used Vintage Modern charm squares in a few other quilts, including this one, I finally cut into my layer cake and used the complete collection! I have not tired of the aqua/red color combination, and I love the touches of pink, grey and green that complement the red and aqua in this collection. This quilt is also listed in my shop.
After a little bit of laundry and dishes, I'll be cutting into some Backyard Baby fabric to finish up another custom order. Lots of finishes coming up in the next week, I hope!
Thursday, August 16, 2012
Monday, August 13, 2012
Sunday, August 5, 2012
Friday, August 3, 2012
Finally, I used this pattern to make a quilt out of Kate Spain's beautiful Flurry fabric collection.
Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Today's post is all about Fig Tree Quilts fabrics! I think the thing I love most about Fig Tree designs are that the fabrics appeal to both vintage and modern tastes -- the designs are classic, but the colors are both soft and contemporary at the same time. Our bed quilt is made from an older collection, Dandelion Girl, which is still one of my favorites! I also love the way many of the collections can be mixed and matched together!
The first quilt top I have to share today is made from California Girl, which is very fitting for my vacation!