Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Month of Quilt Tops! DAY 1: Marmalade

Every summer, my kids and I have the opportunity to visit family in California on an extended vacation.  In-between trips to the pool, library and local attractions, I manage to fit in quite a bit of sewing time. In fact, I have a sewing machine that lives out here -- I arrive with a suitcase full of fabric, and leave with a suitcase full of quilt tops! 
I thought I would share my daily sewing accomplishments with you! We've been here 10 days already, and I have 10 quilt tops to share, so I'll be doing some doubling up for the first week of posts.

Here's Quilt Top # 1.  The fabric is Bonnie and Camille's brand-new collection "Marmalade".  I am a big fan of their fabrics, and couldn't wait to get my hands on the precuts for Marmalade.  I really love the addition of orange and yellow to the red, pink and aqua palette.


I used my Hip to Be Square pattern to make the top, which uses one layer cake and almost zero fabric waste!  After I make the blocks, I sort them into color piles based on the outside color of each block. This gives me an easy way to determine which colors are dominant, so I can distribute them equally throughout the quilt.

I purchased two Marmalade layer cakes -- not sure what the second one will become yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment