Friday, July 13, 2012

A Month of Quilt Tops, Days 3,4 and 5: Peak Hour!

As soon as I saw Kellie Wulfsohn's collection "Peak Hour" for Riley Blake fabrics, I knew I had to purchase some -- it is much more difficult to find "boy" fabric for quilts, and I loved the colors and designs in this collection.  I bought a fat quarter set of the entire collection, and a little extra yardage of the large scale car print.  The first quilt I made uses my Hip to Be Square pattern -- a great way to show off the entire collection, and showcase some of the larger scale prints.
I had a bunch of 5 inch squares leftover from cutting the pieces for the first quilt, so I put together this simple patchwork squares design:
One of the challenges I issue to myself is to try to use up every last piece of fabric I bring with me!  I had some smaller scraps leftover, as well as the larger scale car fabrics, so I created some simple snowball blocks.  The car fabrics are cut at 6 1/2" square, and the corners were cut as 2 1/2" squares and then sewn on the diagonal and trimmed to create the triangles.

I had just enough 2 1/2 " wide scrap pieces to put together this top!  I was worried about getting the border to fit, but I purchased a little extra of the stripe fabric as an inner border, and the outside border worked out perfectly!  This is the smallest of the three quilt tops, but it will be the perfect size for a little one to drag around! 

I do have a small strips left, but these will be turned into some adorable pillows! 

No comments:

Post a Comment