Friday, July 27, 2012

A Month of Quilt Tops: DAYS 10 and 11 Children at Play

One of the things I cannot seem to resist are fabric scrap sets!  If the scraps are a nice size, good variety and a great value, I love the challenge of using them in a quilt top!  Earlier this year, I purchased some Children at Play scraps from one of my favorite Etsy sellers, Sew Love Fabrics.  I often purchase an entire fat quarter set of a fabric collection, but I really hadn't bought much of the popular Children at Play fabrics by designer Sarah Jane for Michael Miller fabrics, other than for this twin custom quilt I made last fall:
The scrap sets I purchased on Etsy contained mostly width of fabric strips that ranged from 5 inches to 12 inches wide in both the "boy" and "girl" colorways.  I was able to cut a nice variety of 5 1/2" charm squares from the girl colorway to make this quilt:
The smallest scrap from the "boy" colorway was about 5 inches wide, so I cut 5 inch squares out of all the boy fabrics to make this quilt:
Both quilts have 99 squares (9 x 11), but the girl quilt is slightly larger because the squares were bigger to begin with.  These were quick and easy projects, and I love the way they turned out.  The boy quilt also has some tangerine Michael Miller Ta Dot fabric, which coordinates nicely.  I found a good deal on flannel backing fabric for the boy quilt in my favorite print (the bicycles!) so this will be a cozy quilt when it's finished!  Even though the color schemes are different, I think the quilts look really cute together!
I do have a few scraps left, so I'm working on some coordinating pillows that I hope to share soon!  In the meantime, I'm also looking forward to Sarah Jane's soon-to-be released second fabric collection called "Out to Sea". 

1 comment:

  1. I love these fabrics! Also like the idea of them in just simple squares like you created. Can't wait to see the quilts completed.

    ReplyDelete