Sunday, June 28, 2015

Week 2, Final Finishes

I've just completed Week 2 of my Summer 2015 blog challenge series (you can read more about it here) and I have five more quilt tops to share today! This week, I focused on two drawers of fabric by Moda designer Chez Moi. I started with Coquette, because I had the most of that particular collection.

Since I've also been using this challenge to try out some different quilt patterns, I decided to go with a braid design. I used this free pattern from Moda, except I omitted the borders to make the quilt a baby size. I think this was a great pattern for the collection -- I like the way the colors and designs kind of blend together even though you can still see the braid. Making the braid part was fun and addictive, but I must admit that trimming the sides and sewing the bias edges together was a little scary!

After I finished the first quilt, I took stock of what was left, and realized that I had bits and pieces of many different Chez Moi collections, including Posh, Boutique, Swanky, Hunky Dory, Sophie and Coquette. Since most of the pieces were fairly small, I decided a coins quilt was the best option to blend all of these collections together.


I ended up making TWO coins quilts, and I love how unique each one turned out just by using a different border print. I also love how well all of those fabric lines worked together in the end. I chose to omit the purple from Coquette (since it was the only line that contained it) as well as a couple of the brighter red and blue pieces I had from Boutique. I absolutely loved seeing these come together!

And the purple didn't go to waste -- I used it to make a little minky blanket for our bunny, Fifi!
I still had lots of pieces left, but two coins quilts were enough, so I decided to make the cover quilt from Allison Harris' book Growing Up Modern (Allison's blog, CluckCluckSew, is one of my favorites!). This was perfect for all the little leftover pieces from the coins quilts.

The fifth and final quilt was made using the Flowers in the Sunshine pattern by Sweet Jane. I've made this one before, but it was a good way to use up the leftover charm squares and coins pieces!


I was able to use up an entire drawer of fabric, and now my remaining Chez Moi precuts fit in a single drawer.

This week, I'll be tackling my Joel Dewberry fabrics:

Even though they look pretty organized, the three drawers are filled way past maximum capacity, so my hope is to at least make some room in each drawer. I'll post some progress on Wednesday!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment